The Valtice estate and chateau belonged territorially to Lower Austria until 1919. Only after the First World War Armistice was Czechoslovakia awarded Valtice.
Its history dates back to the 11th century, when a fortified settlement was built there, guarding the northern border of Austria on the river Thaya. At the end of the 14 century Valtice was acquired by the powerful Liechtenstein family. In the 1560s, when the Lichtensteins lost Mikulov, Valtice become their family seat. In the immediate vicinity of the Renaissance buildings, a castle was built in the second quarter of the 17th century in the Mannerist style and later rebuilt in the Baroque style.
After 1945 the castle was taken from the aristocracy and fell into disrepair until the 1960s. At that time, the Heritage Institute decided that it would undertake repairs to the estate. Today, the castle interiors, castle chapel (which is used for musical productions) and park are all open to visitors.